Hamilton Family Vacation Summer, 2010

Hamilton Family Vacation Summer, 2010
While we actually did not take the Griswold Family Truckster, we did take our mini van.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Mora Rock Sequoia National Park

One of my memories of King's Canyon and Sequoia National Park from 1987 was climbing Mora Rock. Mora Rock is a protruding rock several thousand feet in the air where you need to walk up an additional 400 steps off of a trail to reach the top. Now, everyone was up for it, including me, but as we started our climb I realized, yet again, how much I do not like heights. All boys took it in stride and actually liked the climb, with the exception of this boy. Some areas did not have a railing but only a small boulder wall that was supposed to suffice for a barrier between me and falling to my death thousands of feet below. As I climbed up the 400 steps, I believe I touched every square inch of that rock as I tried to steady myself on the assent. It was not until the decent that I realized my fear of heights was impacting my kids. As Luke began to cry, I realized I was holding onto his arm (not to make sure he didn't fall, but more so for my own security) too tightly and was cutting off the circulation from his bicep on down to his hand…..after Michele pried my hand off of his arm and told me to manage on my own, poor Luke had a hand print from his father wrapped around his arm that took several minutes to go away. I then proceeded to walk, crouched like a tiger, down the rest of the rock ensuring I would not lose my footing and fall to my death. Michele made me walk in front of the kids so I would not see them as they gleefully jumped and jogged down the rocks steps. AAAHHH!!! I really must not hike up heights more than like 20ft. When will I learn.

No comments: